Technique Tuesday with Staci Taylor

When I think of Spring, one of the first things that comes to mind is butterflies, so today I am going to show you how to make a butterfly mobile using the technique of heat embossing. You will need a butterfly stamp, watermark ink, transparencies, embossing powder, a heat gun, some string or twine, a small piece of ribbon, and something to hang the butterflies from (you could use little tins like I did, or something like an embroidery hoop, etc.) The first thing you will need to do is make your butterflies. Stamp your butterfly stamp onto a transparency using watermark ink. Next, use your embossing powder of choice and heat emboss the stamped image (I used a glitter pink, silver and white embossing powders). Repeat to make as many butterflies as you'd like for your mobile. Next, you need to punch a hole in the top of the butterflies you made and string twine or another type of string through them. Now you will attach your strings to your mobile "hanger". If using an embroidery hoop, you could just tie them on. Since I attached mine to these tins, I actually just taped them on the inside of the tins. I also added some pearl embellishments to my tins - you could embellish your "hanger" as much or as little as you'd like. Now you just need to attach a ribbon to the top of your hanger and your butterfly mobile is ready to hang!

No comments: